really been loving all the recent updates

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:38 am

really been loving all the recent updates

Really been loving all the recent updates, some super cool stuff!

Though one thing I'd really like to see more then anything right now is more undo states, I'll admit I'm a horrible artist who often doesn't realize how big of a mistake I've made until about 4-5 strokes in the future. XD

Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:12 am

Re: really been loving all the recent updates

Yaha, haha... I can tell you something you may not like to hear, because it sounds like I wouldn't want multiple undos, BUT I DO. I just have to figure out how best to do that, because graphics memory is precious little when folks go up to higher resolutions and copying buffers outside the card would create very ugly interruptions all the time, I'm afraid. I could try to offer choices for undo depth and see, if I could measure available memory, but that's not as easy as one might think... (or as far as I know!?) ...so, yeah, I want it, too, but here's what I was gonna say:
- after about 6 months with Verve, I've changed tremendously in regards to painting habits and sense of ease. By now I'm eerily comfortable with only one undo, hahaha. You just go at things differently, more physical. As a result you recognize the magical privilege to having any undo, hahaha...ha....but more importantly, you just stop worrying so much and paint gradually with greater and greater ease.
Have you seen my "Spock" up there? In a way it was almost like modeling him and I have virtually no memory of having used undo for anything but slip ups. This is no testimony to my "brilliance" ( :lol: ), but simply the evolution of not working with the chance in mind to undo it all. That's where the problem lies, I believe. We are so conditioned to having endless undos that we don't immediately commit to our choices, or don't make choices we would feel obligated to commit to. This thinking becomes a handicap without us noticing it. But once you liberate yourself from that conditioning, you actually gain great strength and intuition in your entire process! c:!

But, yeah, I still want more than one, too! :oops: :lol:

THANK YOU, by the way, before I forget it! :beer:
Can't wait to see your first Vervatar show up! 8-)
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:32 pm

Never really thought about the fact that Verve is really almost entirely in the VRAM being a major limiter that way. Since I would assume other programs get away with a lot of undos since only some of the active work is being done in Vram and the rest in the normal RAM since really even in photoshop and Gimp the CPU is still the main lifter for brush strokes, and when you do do an undo for something like a GPU driven filter in Photoshop you get a delay since it's actually bringing an old autosaved copy out out of the scratch disk.

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:08 pm

Even though I am missing more undos too, it is exactly the way I was taught drawing.
Just pencil even NO eraser!
No tiny short scribble lines but long decent strokes.
Maybe some more untill it fit.

I have to practise like that again. Too long ago with a too long break.
You'll learn really fast to watch carefully before drawing.
System: i9 10900k@4,2 Ghz / RTX3090 / win10 Pro64 Bit/ 64GB Ram

Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:37 pm

Yeah, I'm still scribbling myself, haha... although I understand the power of deliberate lines...one has to develop proper skills to go strong with them, too. I don't know, I really love taking it ease and follow the known into the unknown, so to say, hahaha...

Yep, and with fluids going on, having to do such memory dumps after each stroke would feel awful, every time with some hesitation, you know. But I'll figure it out. Again, I could allow some customization, leaving it up to the user. I also thought about taking fluidity into account to potentially do just local storing of where you just made a stroke. As long as fluids don't push all pixels in some way, this could be fine. But it's all very, very tricky.
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]