Vervette Fluid Sandbox...

Here we mingle, introduce ourselves, our thoughts and ideas and have caring discussions.

Post Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:50 pm

Re: Vervette Fluid Sandbox...

I love the latest Verve Update ... now its also much better to paint with layers :beer: - even you cant blend with the layer below :bounce:
my system: intel7 - 2600k, gtx 970, dualboot windows 7 64 bit / ubuntu 14.04 lts
my deviantartpage: http://zeropainter.deviantart.com/gallery
my youtube channel: zeropainter - ok, there are only 2-3 very short videos

Site Admin

Post Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:04 pm

I have a bunch of plans with how layers "interact", but blending or smudging hasn't even crossed my mind. I might look into that, too! :ob
My main idea was to offer the possibility to consider the paint from the layer below as a canvas texture, so to say. Like you'd paint on dried layers.
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:18 am

Great news, love to hear Verve development has being resumed.
Yes, is impressive how Verve brushstrokes paint material interacts with canvas texture or even with paint material that is already placed on canvas.

Imho...
1st most needed feature for Verve is to take advantage of new GPUs power, overcome the bottleneck that was discovered some time ago. So that we can paint on bigger canvases, that will be excellent. I don't like to compare Verve with other programs, and I believe that Verve is almost a digital painting software of its own kind. That being said, all other major traditional media painting software support nanotech for the canvas, or support massive canvas resolution.
2nd most needed feature is to support physical color mixing, like when in real life you smudge phthalo blue on a clean canvas and get a cyan-ish color gradient as the paint material runs out, and similarly with other colors, it would add another level of realism.

Anyway, Verve as it is right now is an amazing painting app that has quite a direct and dynamic feel of painting, that makes painting worthy not only by the final result but by the feeling of the painting process itself. For that reason only I wish to do more Verve paintings soon, very soon, as soon as possible. Thanks Taron.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gonnabdh
Portfolio: https://www.deviantart.com/eduardobedoya/gallery
System: Intel Core i7-13700K, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 16GB, CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB, Windows 11
Verve Wishlist:
-LSH color pallete
-Brightness Knob

Site Admin

Post Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:10 am

Hey Ed, if you have some links to the articles where you've read about this, I'd be very curious for sure!
Anyway, I have now solved the large canvas saving/loading issue, which feels rather great! Still has some testing to go through, but it's running.
With colors I'll resume playing some more later, too, but first comes the GUI. Loads of code to clean up, but I've discovered some rather snazzy stuff I had written already in there, which is really fun. Back when I was first developing Verve, I made various experiments, evolving ideas gradually, but they are virtually ALL still in there, including the first incarnations, hahahaha... so.... clean up time!
Also, I'm planning on reaching down deep and change my whole openGL management, which was ridiculously crude. By the time I'm done with v1.0 it will have multiple undos, much smaller memory footprint and should quite likely be a fair bit faster.
BUT piece by piece...

So, yeah, if you have articles to look at, feel free to post links! :geek: :ob
And I'd love to see new paintings from you, Ed! You have a wonderful and sophisticated style. c:!

Site Admin

Post Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:15 am

AH, I've just tried the new Rebelle 6 demo. You mean "NanoPixels", which is A.I. zoom. Nah, that doesn't count. Maxium Brush Size in Rebelle is 100, HAHAHA, really? And it's a 280Mb installer.
What I love is how they've handled the DEMO Version. Very clever and a very comfortable website with easy access and pleasant feel. All in all, the whole presentation at first glance is really nice and sophisticated. I'm not a fan of 280Mb anything unless it's an orchestral sample instrument :hihi: ...and the GUI is to me unbelievably less pleasant than even my laboratory Verve GUI. It will change, too, but never to such an overbearing explosion of stuff like how Rebelle's first welcome GUI. Lord almighty. Almost brings back dogwaffle traumata. :lol:
Yeah, nah, I know I still have to add plenty more functionality into Verve, but discretely and empowering the artist rather than overpowering and somewhat underwhelming, to be perfectly honest. I know, I have my work cutout, but it's beautifully encouraging to see Rebelle again.
By the way, on my machine it's quite a bit chewier (slower) than Verve, considering that Verve has virtually unlimited brush size and a sort of natural performance, rather than an emulation attempt. In Rebelle it can look really beautiful, no doubt, but it just feels to me like an emulation and sort of ...hmmm... don't know how to say this, it's like begging to be accepted as "realistic looking", like humble looking up at a goal it can never quite achieve. While Verve is like this happy, carefree entity, childlike in its joy to do what it does and not asking for approval from an unattainable goal that it tries to match. It is what it is and it loves to get better at that, too. :hihi: :hyper:

Yeah, nah, it's all wonderful. I'm excited again! :bounce: :hug:

Post Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:44 pm

Hi Taron,
good to hear from you.

I'm almost sure this was the post where it was spotted the bottleneck problem
http://www.taron.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44&p=20925#p20925
it was back in 2018, my god, some many years ago, I would have liked to come back to painting a bit faster than it took.
I know this phrase is usually said in an annoyed manner, but I say it for me. It's about time.

It's true, a constrained maximum brush size is a drag in digital painting.
Imho Expresii feels a bit more natural and direct than Rebelle, but Rebelle has a kinda sweet spot within its settings and workflow that feels natural enough.
Btw Rebelle's recording feature works better than any other program, it records directly in mp4 format, it's so simple and fast to use, and it works 100% of the times.

Thanks Taron for resuming Verve development.
Last edited by eduardobedoya on Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
System: Intel Core i7-13700K, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 16GB, CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB, Windows 11
Verve Wishlist:
-LSH color pallete
-Brightness Knob

Site Admin

Post Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:40 pm

AH, yes, I really, really want to record videos as a feature, too. Not sure if I can even do this in the current coding environment (BlitzMax), but I am planning on switching over the Java. There I can certainly figure it out. But it'll be some time before then. And THEN it also will finally go 64bit, pfffff....

Thanks, Ed! There's plenty left to learn. But I'm moving forward quite well again. It's a lot of fun! :hyper:

Post Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:23 pm

:roll:
I'm curious about what do you mean here...
Anyway, I have now solved the large canvas saving/loading issue, which feels rather great! Still has some testing to go through, but it's running.

Thanks.
Verve Wishlist:
-LSH color pallete
-Brightness Knob

Site Admin

Post Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:30 pm

I mean, in Verve v1.0 you can now save and load canvases at virtually any size. If your machine allows you to work at 8000x8000 then you can now save and load those projects without problems. And the saving and loading looks really nice right now! 8-)

Post Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:37 pm

:bow:
Verve Wishlist:
-LSH color pallete
-Brightness Knob
PreviousNext

Return to Community [feedback, bug reports, discussions, etc...]