Russtiel's post about experiences with verve.

Showcase your Verve Art to all ages!

Forum rules
Only post Jpeg images less that 256kb in size, or post a link instead! Keep it family friendly here, please!

Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:30 pm

Re: Russtiel's post about experiences with verve.

Ah yeah, I see what you mean now. Mind if i try something on photoshop with those paintings?
Computer specs- Intel Core i7 950@ 3.07GHz, 8GB ram, GTX 780, windows 7 and a intous 5 touch (medium)

Site Admin

Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:35 pm

Oh, i don't mind at all... go ahead! :)
I am inspired to try something with shadows and more complex lighting later on, that's for sure! 8-)
Here to help! :D
System Info: AMD Radeon RX Vega 10, AMD Ryzen 7 (2.3 Ghz), Windows 11
Taron.de | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:57 pm

So what i've done here is layered the flat layer on photoshop, then added the shadow version on top and turned down the opacity to 72% to make the shadows less dark. Then put another copy of the shadow painting on top and did a colour dodge with the opacity at 25% to bring back the colours of the flat layer then did a selection of the black shadows and copied and pasted it, then lowered the opacity to 18% just to bring a bit more depth in to the paint again. I used the photo i showed earlier as reference to try match in with the opacity of those shadows.

I can't say all that was needed but i definitely think a opacity dial for the shadows would help a lot on verve to get this effect.
Computer specs- Intel Core i7 950@ 3.07GHz, 8GB ram, GTX 780, windows 7 and a intous 5 touch (medium)

Site Admin

Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:17 pm

:? Huh? Oh, you mean, ONCE THERE ARE SHADOWS in Verve, I guess. Yeah..but...yay and nay, because you can just design your lighting there, then...so the strength of shadows will be what you want it to be based on your ambient lighting. I don't like faking, when it's not necessary, you know. It just complicates things where reason could bring all the joy and power required! ;)

Looks great, by the way.

AND don't get me wrong, I'll add all the post processing to Verve that I can think of and pull of, most likely far beyond the basics! :)

Post Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:34 pm

Ah thats fair enough Taron I see your point :) I can't wait to see more of what verve grows in to.

I've also have worked on a portrait lately using it and i find when painting in black and white some colours leak through and I'm not sure what causes it but its not too much of an issue. Seems to happen after i've saved the work.

Site Admin

Post Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:32 pm

Most definitely looks AWESOME!
What do you mean by leaking through? As in, when you blend a color appears, like slightly saturating what should be gray?
Just wondering. If that happens, or if you wish to work grayscale only, you should put the "Smudge Chroma" dial to 0%.

Post Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:27 pm

like *

Post Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:45 pm

Taron wrote:Most definitely looks AWESOME!
What do you mean by leaking through? As in, when you blend a color appears, like slightly saturating what should be gray?
Just wondering. If that happens, or if you wish to work grayscale only, you should put the "Smudge Chroma" dial to 0%.

Oh that would be what caused it. It was set to 8% so it kept giving me random saturated colours, you can see the slight colour in the folds on his top on the right side.
Thanks for that, i'll have to remember to lower that next time. =P

Post Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:06 am

Sweet self-portrait. Hair looks amazing *drool*

Your beard is glorious by the way, I hope mine grows up to be awesome like yours haha

Site Admin

Post Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:13 am

It is a self-portrait? I was wondering that already. Well...you are beautiful, Russtiel! 8-)
I'm sure the beard only attracts very specific women, but I wear my hair like that quite often, hehe... like, eh...right now :lol:
PreviousNext

Return to Your Artworks